"Dwell as near as possible to the channel in which your life flows."
(Henry David Thoreau)
Ahhh...the creative flow. That's what we dream of, hunt and search for, strive for and hope for. But what the hell does one do when the elusive "Flow" is no where to be found? I am like the Liberty Dam pictured above. Tons of cement holding backing something, some creative force. I feel it inside, but for some reason lately, it just can't come out. Too much 9 to 5ing? Hell, if that doesn't suck the life force out of you!
So what to do? Wait it out. Pull it out. Force it out. Vomit it out. Those never seem to work. It is like a butterfly. The minute you tire of chasing the thing around and sit your ass down to rest, it comes to rest upon your nose. At least, I hope it does.
So here are some tips to help the muse get moving.
- Go slower.
- Drink some tea.
- Get outside in nature.
- Watch this: The Science of Sleep.
- Or this: Her Morning Elegance.
- Listen to some Beethoven or Ladytron.
- Let go of your ego and any investment in the final outcome.
- Be open to whatever comes next.
- Start another project...just for fun.
- Talk to a friend.
- Go to a museum.
- Browse a thrift store.
- Cook or bake something you've never eaten before.
- Never give up.
What do you do when you're all damned up?